files/MDTB-GBR490x110-March2015.jpg files/DeerfieldWebBanner_final.jpg
High Country News, Weather, and Bulletins

Todays ForecastToday:
36°F | 36°F | 70%
Tomorrows ForecastTomorrow:
16°F | 35°F | 60%
  Swap Shop Online
Home Sports Weather Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Autos
Space Heater Believed to Have Caused Last Week’s House Fire in Zionville PDF Print
Written by Adam Hicks   
Wednesday, 02 December 2009 06:56

After investigating last week’s house fire on Slabtown Road in Zionville, authorities believe an unsupervised space heater was the culprit.


David Hancock with the Watauga County Fire Marshal’s Office said the homeowner was out of town last Friday at the time of the fire.  The homeowner left a small space heater in his bathroom blowing on his pipes to keep them from freezing.  Hancock said a wastebasket was also in the general area and the heat from the heater is believed to have caught debris in the wastebasket on fire.

Hancock explained the heater was positioned a good distance from the wastebasket, but not quite the recommended three feet.

When asked what the homeowner should’ve done differently to prevent his pipes from freezing, Hancock said setting a thermostat at your home is the best option.  Hancock explained heat tape for pipes is also a good insulation option.

Hancock said the fire caused and estimated $20,000 - $30,000 in damages to the home.  The Cove Creek and Zionville Fire Departments responded to the fire on Friday morning.


Prev ArticleNext Article
Share This Article:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email