- Written by Steve Frank
There was damage to a home after flammable materials too close to a heater ignited Tuesday morning. The 9:40am call was to a residence at 280 Cara Lane, just off of Little Laurel a short distance off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The resident called in the fire, saying a bathroom was on fire, but that he had much of the fire out using an extinguisher. Arriving Boone firemen reported light smoke visible from outside the home, then found that clothing had been ignited being too close to a baseboard heater. The fire was extinguished, then Boone Firemen worked to eject the smoke from the structure while Watauga Medics treated the resident for possible injuries sustained in the fighting of the fire. Boone Fire estimated damage to the structure at $5000 from fire and smoke.