Sunday, 09 December 2007 18:00
The holiday season can be a dangerous time for dogs and
Vets warn pet-owners to keep rich fatty foods like gravy out of reach. While
puppies might look like they’re enjoying the treat- fatty foods can cause a
range of problems from upset stomachs to pancreatitis. Pick up and rinse stray
cups quickly- alcohol can also cause health problems. Be sure to keep
chocolate, coffee and tea away from pets. They contain a compound called
xanthine that is toxic to animals. Bones from fish, meat or poultry can cause
problems if swallowed.
Holiday plants can also be harmful to pets. Keep pets
away from holly, mistletoe, poinsettias and hibiscus plants.