files/MDSB-GBR490x110-Sept-2014.jpg files/redtails.gif
GoBlueRidge.Net
High Country News, Weather, and Bulletins
HCR WSOC TV NCNN
files/auto-banner-2014.gif

Todays ForecastToday:
37°F | 56°F | %
Tomorrows ForecastTomorrow:
37°F | 62°F | %
  Swap Shop Online
Home Weather Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Autos
files/Foxx-Web-Ad-490x102.png

files/banner_chickfila.jpg
Pathologist Resigns After Evidence Timeline PDF Print
Written by Steve Frank   
Saturday, 15 June 2013 08:20

Dr. Brent Hall, Regional Pathologist, resigned Friday after news reports of the sequence that led to the death of an 11-year-old boy a week ago in the Boone Best Western Hotel. Boone Police chief Dana Crawford  told Eyewitness News Friday night how a crucial piece of evidence might have saved a life. Crawford said,  "I would like to think we would have been able to conclude and find the source of that carbon monoxide, and with that information, been able to rectify that whole situation before this happened." Carbon monoxide had been officially determined as the cause of the April 16th deaths of 73-year old Daryl Jenkins and his wife, Shirley, 72, found dead in room 225 at the East King Street Hotel.  Boone Police said in a press conference early in the week that they requested the toxicology report on May 31st, but even though it was available the next day, Chief Crawford said they didn’t get the report until June 10th—two days after Jeffrey Williams was found dead, his mother in serious condition.

 

 

When Williams and his mother checked into Room 225 at the Best Western in Boone, police say they didn't know an elderly couple had died in that same room just under two months before or that they were killed by dangerous carbon monoxide gas leaking into their room. From their statements, that police did not know either. "I can't speculate as to why we didn't get them," Police Chief Dana Crawford told channel 9. The state said it transmitted the toxicology report to the Dr. Brent Hall, a week before Williams' death. Within an hour of reporting this timeline, state officials told said Hall resigned from his position.

 

All this came to light on the day that search warrants from the investigation became available. According to the search warrant, firefighters knew last Saturday, June 8th,  that the poisonous gas was in the hotel room after using testing equipment. Listed in the report are items taken from the facility, including two 5-foot sections of an exhaust pipe that came from the pool water heater, located below room 225. Officials also took the maintenance records for that room and a binder of the records for the pool area.

 

In Boone during the week was Washington State attorney for the Jenkins,  Mark Brumbaugh. He looked over the search warrants and told Dave Faherty,  “I’m representation the Jenkins family and I wanted to see it firsthand.  I think it is pretty obvious at this point that it is carbon monoxide poisoning and rarely is that something that couldn’t be avoided.”

 

The funeral for Jeffrey Williams was held Sunday at the First Baptist Church on Dave Lyle Boulevard at 2 p.m.

 

Some Photos, graphics courtesy WSOC-TV

  
Prev ArticleNext Article
 
Share This Article:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email

files/appdental-ad46b.jpg
files/wilkes-nissan.jpg
files/op-smiles2014.jpg
files/modernad.png
files/champion-paving.gif
files/boone-ford.jpg
files/Window-World-logo.jpg
files/boonerentall.jpg
files/sears.gif
files/daytona.png
files/beck-mtn.jpg
files/Blitz_Ad.jpg
files/perfectiongirls.jpg