|Asphxyia Cause of Death at Boone Hotel|
|Written by Boone PD Press Release|
|Monday, 10 June 2013 20:02|
On Saturday, June 8, 2013, just before 12:30 PM, Boone Police and Fire responded with Watauga Medics to the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza located at 840 East King Street in reference to a medical emergency. Two victims were located in room 225. One victim, Jeffrey Lee Williams, 11 years-of-age, was deceased at the scene.
His mother, Jeannie Williams, 49 years-of-age, was transported to Watauga Medical Center. During the emergency medical response, a presumptive test indicated an elevated level of carbon monoxide in the room. The hotel was evacuated and assistance was requested from North Carolina Emergency Management and the North Carolina Public Health Preparedness and Response Branch. The Regional Response Team 6 out of Asheville responded with personnel and equipment to assist in the investigation and environmental testing. On Sunday, the investigation continued with environmental testing and other duties.
As of this afternoon, Dr. Brent Hall, Regional Pathologist, was able to report that Jeffrey Lee Williams was autopsied on June 9, 2013 and preliminary indications are that he died from asphyxia. Samples have been sent to the Office of the State Medical Examiner for toxicological analysis. Those results are pending.
It has been widely reported that in an earlier incident on April 16, 2013, Daryl Dean Jenkins, 73 years –of-age, and his wife, Shirley M. Jenkins, 72 years-of-age, were found deceased in the same room. The regional pathologist reports that on April 17 and 18, 2013, Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins were autopsied. Results at that time were inconclusive. Samples were sent to the Office of the State Medical Examiner for toxicological analysis. Results of those analysis were received within the last 24 hours. After receiving those results, the cause of death in both cases was determined to be carbon monoxide toxicity.
As of today, The business remains closed and under the control of investigators. The North Carolina State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors will have investigators in Boone on Wednesday, June 12, to aid in the investigation.
|Share This Article:|