files/0 (4).jpg
High Country News, Weather, and Bulletins

Todays ForecastToday:
53°F | 56°F | 60%
Tomorrows ForecastTomorrow:
46°F | 64°F | 20%
  Swap Shop Online
Home Sports Weather Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Autos
Wild Evening: Five Arrests after Two Watauga Chases PDF Print
Written by Steve Frank   
Wednesday, 18 April 2012 21:39

Seemingly out of the blue, two chases took place late Wednesday afternoon—both ending with suspects under arrest and multiple agencies filing charges. (Photos Courtesy Jim Hamby) The second chase was probably the most spectacular, with Boone Police notified of a dark Honda stolen from Lenoir in the area, and with moments, that car was spotted traveling Fairway Drive.  Boone officers turned on the car, but it turned off and was lost momentarily—that until numerous 9-1-1 calls came in about the car speeding through a neighborhood, then crashing into a utility pole, then a yard on Donnie’s Drive.  Four suspects fled from the crashed vehicle, three heading to a house near-by, where they broke in—maybe more than once—only to find themselves facing an armed woman—retired military.  They managed to steal her car keys and try to steal her car in the confusion, but by then, Boone Police had picked up the fourth suspect at another location, and blocked in the other three in the car they were trying to steal.  The driver faces a number of counts surrounding the theft of the stolen car, with Driving While License Revoked, Careless & Reckless Driving, and Felony Hit and Run.  Others in the car were charged with possession of the stolen vehicle and Resist, Delay, and Obstruct Officers.  Paperwork was still being sorted late into the night.  

That chase was underway just as the first was ending—less dramatically—in Caldwell County after possibly starting as an assault in Wilkes.  9-1-1 calls reported a woman dropped off on US 221 in Watauga just before the Ashe line, the woman suffering an obvious beating, bleeding from the head.  The suspect vehicle was given out to lawmen, and within minutes, a Parkway officer was behind the car, asking for Blowing Rock to help him stop the car—with an apparent fictitious tag—at US 321 and the parkway.  But the suspect refused to stop after exiting there, and a rather slow speed chase ran through Blowing Rock and south on 321 into Caldwell.  With an entourage of lawmen surrounding the man, he pulled into Greene’s Trading Post and was taken into custody.  Lawmen noted the interior being quite bloody when they took the man into custody, and Watauga deputies took on the investigation into the series of incidents. 

Prev ArticleNext Article
Share This Article:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email

files/Farmer Appreciation Week GBR Tile.png
files/BankersLife_Ad (1).jpg