files/0.jpg files/0 (4).jpg
High Country News, Weather, and Bulletins

Todays ForecastToday:
62°F | 73°F | 80%
Tomorrows ForecastTomorrow:
61°F | 74°F | 80%
  Swap Shop Online
Home Sports Weather Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Autos
files/App Brian Estates.png
Avery Teen Charged in Triple Fatal Wreck PDF Print
Written by Steve Frank   
Friday, 17 December 2010 04:44

After nearly 9 months, a teen firefighter from Avery County has been charged in connection with a triple-fatality crash that killed two Blowing Rock volunteer firefighters returning from a training session and a third man back in March, according to the McDowell News. The third victim, a passenger in the vehicle hit by the car carrying the two Blowing Rock firefighters, died 11 days after the collision. Tyler Jordan Vance, 18, of Elk Park, was charged Thursday with one count each of misdemeanor death by vehicle and misdemeanor spontaneous speed competition, according to Trooper T.D. Brewer of the N.C. Highway Patrol. Vance is free on a custody release with a court date set for Wednesday, Jan. 12 in McDowell County District Court. The wreck occurred in a heavy rainstorm as the young firefighters were leaving McDowell’s Fire & Rescue College. The trooper said that a race ensued between a Mustang carrying the two Blowing Rock volunteer firefighters and a Camaro carrying two then 17-year-old Avery County junior volunteer firefighters in which speeds approached 95 miles an hour. Vance, who was 17 at the time, was the driver of the Camaro, according to the trooper. The 2008 Ford Mustang, driven by Jeremy Gordon Bolick, 23, of Lenoir spun out of control travelling U.S. 221 North in Marion and crossed the five-lane highway, slamming into a 2006 Chrysler driven by Cynthia White Bassett, 51, a part time in Marion resident, also a part time Flagler Beach, Fla. Resident. Bolick and his passenger, Charles Thomas Wright, 20, of Blowing Rock were killed in the collision, and Bassett’s husband, Jeffrey Wilkes Bassett, 51, died in Asheville’s Memorial Mission Hospital 11 days after the crash. Cynthia Bassett was released after more than three weeks in the hospital.


Prev ArticleNext Article
Share This Article:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email