Appalachian State University women’s tennis fell victim to UNCG, 4-0, Friday morning in the quarterfinals of the Southern Conference Women’s Tennis
Championships at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
The Mountaineers (14-9, 6-4 SoCon) began the morning with singles competition, where UNCG (14-6, 8-2 SoCon) managed to take control early on, capturing the first four points of the match with wins at No. 1, 2, 3 and 4.
At number four, Jennifer Ansari dropped a 6-2, 6-0 decision to Anette Rios to give the Spartans their first point. UNCG then picked up point number two after Alex Whitehead pulled off a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Brianna Armellino at No. 3.
Ellie Linsell fell just shy to Niltooli Wilkins, who took the No. 1 slot with a 6-3, 6-4 victory to give UNCG a 3-0 advantage. Linsell closes out her senior campaign with a team-high 17 wins this season.
Despite a tough effort, Clare Cox was unable to overcome Dilara Yurtkuran at No. 2, 7-6, 6-2, yielding UNCG’s fourth point for the match victory.
Following the disappointing loss, Appalachian drops out of the tournament, while the Spartans move on the semifinals where they will meet No. 1 seed College of Charleston on Saturday, April 20.
UNCG 4, Appalachian State 0
Apr 19, 2013 at Elon, N.C.
at Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Ellie Linsell (APP) 6-3, 6-4
2. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Clare Cox (APP) 7-5, 6-2
3. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-2, 6-3
4. Anette Rios (UNCG) def. Jennifer Ansari (APP) 6-2, 6-0
5. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) vs. Jessica Thaggard (APP) 5-7, 2-3, unfinished
6. Kayla Gammie (UNCG) vs. Gabriela Celi (APP) 3-6, 7-5, unfinished
1. Brianna Armellino/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) vs. Niltooli Wilkins/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) no result
2. Ellie Linsell/Clare Cox (APP) vs. Anette Rios/Kayla Gammie (UNCG) no result
3. Jennifer Ansari/Gabriela Celi (APP) vs. Stephanie Falcon/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) no result
Appalachian State 14-9 (6-4 SoCon)
UNCG 14-6 (8-2 SoCon)
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (4,3,1,2)