|ASU Women’s Tennis Rolls Past Wofford|
|Written by Jennifer Clark|
|Saturday, 13 April 2013 23:01|
Ellie Linsell’s come-from-behind victory made for a thrilling afternoon at ASU Tennis Courts, where Appalachian State women’s tennis cruised to a well-deserved 6-1 victory over Southern Conference foe Wofford on Saturday afternoon. Three seniors, Jennifer Ansari, Ellie Linsell, and Gabriela Celi, were honored prior to play.
From there, the Mountaineers (14-8, 6-4 SoCon) set the stage early for the win, dropping just one point to the visiting Terriers (5-16, 1-9 SoCon) in their final match of the regular season. Appalachian took the first two doubles slots of the afternoon with 8-2 and 8-6 scores at Nos. 1 and 2, to head into singles play with a one point advantage.
All three seniors won their individual matches. At the top of the rotation, Linsell played a gripping come-from-behind match to a 7-5, 6-1 triumph over Sarah Evans. Ansari rolled past Guinn Garcia at No. 4, 6-3, 6-0, and Celi sealed the match with a straight-set victory over Lucy Schermerhorn, 6-3, 6-3.
Clare Cox carried the momentum in an exciting tiebreak versus Audrey Conventry (6-3, 6-7, 10-4), while Jessica Thaggard recorded Appalachian’s sixth point with her 7-5, 6-1 defeat of Mareli Sanchez at No. 5. Julia Paulson scored Wofford’s lone point at No. 3 in a 7-5, 6-4 win over Brianna Armellino.
The Mountaineers will return to action when they head to Elon, N.C. to participate in the SoCon Tournament from April 18-21. Information wll be available on GoASU.com.
Appalachian State 6, Wofford 1
Apr 13, 2013 at Boone, N.C. (ASU Tennis Courts)
1. Ellie Linsell (APP) def. Sarah Evans (WOF) 7-5, 6-1
2. Clare Cox (APP) def. Audrey Coventry (WOF) 6-3, 6-7, 10-4
3. Julia Paulson (WOF) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 7-5, 6-4
4. Jennifer Ansari (APP) def. Guinn Garcia (WOF) 6-3, 6-0
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Mareli Sanchez (WOF) 7-5, 6-1
6. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. Lucy Schermerhorn (WOF) 6-3, 6-3
1. Ellie Linsell/Clare Cox (APP) def. Julia Paulson/Lucy Schermerhorn (WOF) 8-2
2. Brianna Armellino/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Sarah Evans/Othilia Lindqvist (WOF) 8-6
3. Guinn Garcia/Mareli Sanchez (WOF) def. Jennifer Ansari/Gabriela Celi (APP) 8-4
Wofford 5-16 (1-9 SoCon)
Appalachian State 14-8 (6-4 SoCon)
ASU Men’s Tennis Edges Wofford in 4-3 Thriller
Matt Saltsgaver’s super tie-break victory made for a thrilling match as Appalachian State men’s tennis defeated Southern Conference foe Wofford, 4-3, on Saturday afternoon at Reeves Tennis Center. The Mountaineers (6-14, 3-7 SoCon) played a marathon match as they fought to the finish, edging the Terriers (3-14, 1-9 SoCon) in their final regular season contest.
Wofford earned the early point after rolling through doubles play with 8-6 victories at Nos. 1 and 2, followed by an 8-3 finish at No. 3. Singles play proved to be a neck-and-neck battle as Steve Karendal split his first two sets against Rob Galloway, 6-3, 3-6 at No. 1, but dropped a 6-3 third set to give Wofford a two point edge (2-0).
Jan-Willem Kleynhans followed behind with a tie-break victory over Graham Duncan at No. 6 (6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (9-7)) to make it a 2-1 match. Drew Superstein responded for the Terriers at No. 2 with a three-set win of his own versus Sebastien King (1-6, 7-5, 6-3) to increase Wofford’s lead to 3-1.
It would become all Appalachian from there, as Zach Bost defeated Jackson Keith in three-sets at the No. 3 spot (6-4, 2-6, 6-1), while senior Andrew McKinnon tied the match at 3-all when he knocked off Walker Heffron, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, in fourth flight.
The deciding point came down to Matt Saltsgaver, who played a gripping three-set tie-break at No. 5. The junior split his first two sets, 6-1, 2-6, with Wofford’s Tom Wood to force a deciding third set that he would take, 7-6 (9-7), for the Appalachian victory.
The Mountaineers will return to the courts when they head to Elon, N.C. for the SoCon Tournament, April 18-21.
Appalachian State 4, Wofford College Men 3
Apr 13, 2013 at Spartanburg, S.C. (Reeves Tennis Center)
1. Rob Galloway (WOF) def. Steve Karendal (APP) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Drew Superstein (WOF) def. Sebastien King (APP) 1-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Zach Bost (APP) def. Jackson Keith (WOF) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
4. Andrew McKinnon (APP) def. Walker Heffron (WOF) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. Tom Wood (WOF) 7-6 (13-11), 2-6, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Graham Duncan (WOF) 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (9-7)
1. Rob Galloway/Walker Heffron (WOF) def. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP) 8-6
2. David Sklar/Parks Thompson (WOF) def. Andrew McKinnon/Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-6
3. Jackson Keith/Tom Wood (WOF) def. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) 8-3
Appalachian State 6-14, 3-7 SoCon
Wofford College Men 3-14, 1-9 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,6,2,3,4,5)
|Share This Article:|