|Chattanooga Hands Appalachian 6-1 Loss|
|Written by Jennifer Clark|
|Saturday, 06 April 2013 20:14|
Appalachian State men’s tennis dropped its sixth Southern Conference match after falling to Chattanooga, 6-1, on Saturday afternoon at UTC Tennis Courts. The Mountaineers saw their overall mark fall to 4-13, while their SoCon record drops to 2-6. UTC (9-6, 4-4 SoCon) started the afternoon by taking doubles for the first team point.
The Mountaineers fought through all three doubles matches, but only No. 2 pair Andrew McKinnon and Jen-Willem Kleynhans managed to capture a win with their 8-4 victory over Chris Smith and John Peacey. App State’s No. 1 and No. 3 teams both fell shy, 8-6, to the Mocs. Chattanooga pushed through singles play, taking the first five positions and sealing their win.
Matt Saltsgaver was the Mountaineers’ lone singles winner at No. 5. The junior, who is no stranger to tough matches, dropped his first set (2-6), but rebounded with a pair of 6-4 and 7-6 (7-5) wins to wrap up the match and earn the Apps’ only point of the day.
Appalachian returns home this week to host SoCon foe Elon on Wednesday, April 10 at 2 p.m.
Chattanooga 6, Appalachian State 1
Apr 06, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-2, 6-2
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Steve Karendal (APP) 6-1, 6-0
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Zach Bost (APP) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Andrew McKinnon (APP) 7-5, 6-4
5. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. John Peacey (UTC) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Ankit Chopra/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) 8-4
2. Andrew McKinnon/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Chris Smith/John Peacey (UTC) 8-4
3. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) 8-6
Appalachian State 4-13, 2-6 SoCon
Chattanooga 9-8, 4-4 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,6,3,4,5)
|Share This Article:|