|No.74 Samford Tops Appalachian, 4-3|
|Written by Jennifer Clark|
|Sunday, 31 March 2013 08:09|
Appalachian State men’s tennis played its third ranked opponent of the season, but was unable to move past No. 74 Samford University, as the Bulldogs took a 4-3 decision over the Mountaineers Saturday afternoon at Grandfather Mountain Country Club.
Appalachian (4-11, 2-4 SoCon) , who opened the season against No. 39 South Carolina and No. 42 UNC Wilmington, posted its third straight loss, while the Bulldogs improved their overall record to 9-7 (4-1 SoCon) after posting back-to-back league win, including a 7-0 sweep of Davidson on Friday.
The Mountaineers’ No. 1 team of Sebastien King and Zach Bost matched a team-high five doubles wins with their victory over Zac Dunkle and Garrison Laduca (8-5). Andrew McKinnon and Jen-Willem Kleynhans bested Austin Akers and Elliot Barnwell at No. 2, 8-3, for the early point, while the Bulldogs captured an 8-6 victory at No. 3.
The Bulldogs moved on to take the first four positions of the afternoon to pull a 4-1 lead, but Appalachian continued to fight in the day’s two remaining matches. At No. 6, Kleynhans defeated Laduca, 7-5, 6-3. Matt Saltsgaver went the distance at No. 5 flight, splitting his first two sets, 6-4 and 4-6, but pulling through in a 7-6 third set for the Mountaineers’ 4-3 finish.
Appalachian is scheduled to return to action on Tuesday, April 2 when it closes out it’s five-match home stretch against Charlotte at 2 p.m.
#74 Samford University 4, Appalachian State 3
Mar 30, 2013 at Boone, N.C. (Grandfather Mountain Country Club)
1. Zac Dunkle (SAM) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-4, 6-2
2. Elliot Barnwell (SAM) def. Steve Karendal (APP) 6-1, 6-3
3. Fares Kilani (SAM) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-2, 6-2
4. Alex Sajonz (SAM) def. Andrew McKinnon (APP) 7-5, 6-2
5. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. Austin Akers (SAM) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6
6. Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Garrison Laduca (SAM) 7-5, 6-3
1. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) def. Zac Dunkle/Garrison Laduca (SAM) 8-5
2. Andrew McKinnon/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Austin Akers/Elliot Barnwell (SAM) 8-3
3. Fares Kilani/Alex Sajonz (SAM) def. Steve Karendal/Steve Lake (APP) 8-6
Samford University 9-7 (4-1 SoCon); National ranking #74
Appalachian State 4-11 (2-4 SoCon)
|Share This Article:|