Appalachian State women’s tennis was unable to overcome a tough match against SoCon foe College of Charleston when it dropped a 5-2 decision to the No. 71-ranked Cougars on Sunday afternoon at
Yonahlossee Racquet Club. Following the disappointing loss, the Mountaineers (11-5, 3-1 SoCon) pick up their first conference loss of the season, while the Cougars (11-7, 3-0 SoCon) remain undefeated in conference action.
Appalachian got off to a rocky start when CofC claimed wins in all three doubles matches to clinch the first point of the day. The Cougars extended their momentum into singles play when Christin Newman defeated senior Ellie Linsell in a 6-4, 6-1 victory in No. 1 flight.
Sophomore Clare Cox followed with a win, knocking off Kelly Kambourelis in three sets at No. 2 (6-7, 7-6, 6-3), but Charleston bounced back with a pair of 6-2, 6-3 victories over Brianna Armellino and Jennifer Ansari at No’s. 3 and 4 to take a 4-1 lead and seal the Cougar Victory.
The Mountaineers would not go down without a fight though as Jessica Thaggard played a tough match at the No. 5 position, but could not manage to move past Katherine Schofield, who picked up a 6-4, 6-4 win.
Gabriela Celi rounded out the afternoon finishing 8-6 over Olivia McMillan and capturing the Mountaineers’ final point in their 5-2 finish against Charleston. Up next, Appalachian continues its home stretch when it hosts Furman on Wed., March 27 at 3 p.m.
No.71 College of Charleston 5, Appalachian State 2
Mar 24, 2013 at Boone, N.C. (Yonahlossee Racquet Club)
1. Christin Newman (COFC) def. Ellie Linsell (APP) 6-4, 6-1
2. Clare Cox (APP) def. Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) 6-7, 7-6, 6-3
3. Jenny Falcone (COFC) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-2, 6-3
4. Samantha Maddox (COFC) def. Jennifer Ansari (APP) 6-2, 6-3
5. Katherine Schofield (COFC) def. Jessica Thaggard (APP) 6-4, 6-4
6. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. Olivia McMillan (COFC) 8-6
1. Irene Viana/Katherine Schofield (COFC) def. Ellie Linsell/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 8-6
2. Jenny Falcone/Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) def. Gabriela Celi/Jennifer Ansari (APP) 8-4
3. Samantha Maddox/Christin Newman (COFC) def. Clare Cox/Brianna Armellino (APP) 8-1
College of Charleston 11-7 (3-0 SoCon); National ranking #71
Appalachian State 11-5 (3-1 SoCon)
Photo Courtesy: Gabriela Celi, ASU Athletics