Appalachian State men’s tennis came up just short on Saturday afternoon when it dropped a 4-3 loss to College of Charleston to close out spring break play.The Mountaineers (3-8, 1-1 SoCon) battled tough all day, but were unable to
overcome a strong effort by the Cougars (5-6, 3-2) to finish with a weekend split in Charleston against two Southern Conference foes.
Appalachian and CofC split the singles matches, 3-3, as App State’s No. 1 Sebastien King fell to Brice Allanic by a score of 6-0, 6-4. Steve Karendal picked up a win at the No. 2 spot for the Apps as he defeated Sebastian Lopez by a score of 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7).
The Mountaineers also picked up a win at the No. 3 spot as Zach Bost earned a 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8) win over Charlie Ghriskey. Andrew McKinnon downed Alon Faimamn earned a win at the No. 4 position for the Apps after CofC’s Alon Faimen retired. College of Charleston grabbed victories at the No. 5 and No. 6 singles spots to tie the match, which came down to the crucial doubles’ point.
The No. 1 team of Bost/King came away with a victory for the Apps by an 8-6 final, but the Mountaineers could not pick up a win in either of the other two doubles matches, dropping the No. 2 match by an 8-4 final and the No. 3 match by an 8-6 score. Next up, the Mountaineers host Davidson on March 20 at 2 p.m.
College of Charleston 4, Appalachian State 3
Mar 16, 2013 at Mt. Pleasant, S.C. (CofC Tennis Center at Patriots Point)
1. Brice Allanic (COFC) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-0, 6-4
2. Steve Karendal (APP) def. Sebastian Lopez (COFC) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Zach Bost (APP) def. Charlie Ghriskey (COFC) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Andrew McKinnon (APP) def. Alon Faiman (COFC) 6-7, 2-3, retired
5. Zack Lewis (COFC) def. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) 6-4, 3-0, retired
6. Josh Record (COFC) def. Steve Lake (APP) 6-3, 6-2
1. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP) def. Brice Allanic/Charlie Ghriskey (COFC) 8-6
2. Crescente Lesser/Sebastian Lopez (COFC) def. Jen-Willem Kleynhans/Andrew McKinnon (APP) 8-4
3. Alon Faiman/Zack Lewis (COFC) def. Steve Karendal/Steve Lake (APP) 8-6
Appalachian State 3-8, 1-1 SoCon
College of Charleston 5-6, 3-2 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,5,4,2,3)