Appalachian State men’s tennis stumbled against Northern Illinois State University on Wednesday afternoon, recording its seventh loss of the season in Orlando, Fla.
The Mountaineers (2-7) remained competitive against the Huskies (10-5), despite recording a loss.
Steve Lake and Steve Karendal won their match at No. 3, 8-1, but NIU clinched the doubles point for an early advantage following No. 1 and No. 2 victories from Dor Amir/Axel Lagerlof (8-6) and Max Phillips/Simon Formont (8-5).
The Mountaineers headed into singles action, where they managed to secure three victories in No.’s 3, 4, and 6 flights. Zach Bost defeated Huskies front-runner Amir in three sets (6-4, 4-6, 6-2), while Andrew McKinnon handed Jovan Zeljkovic a two-set decision (7-5, 6-2). Matt Saltsgaver rounded out the Appalachian point tally (3) with his three-set victory over Formont (6-2, 6-3, 6-4).
By afternoon’s end, however, the Huskies would have the final mark after NIU’s Cadieux took No. 2 flight against Karendal, 6-2, 6-0, and Phillips won No. 5 with his win over Jan-Willem Kleynhans, 7-6, 7-6.
Up next, the Mountaineers will travel to Charleston, South Carolina where they will match up against The Citadel on March 15 at 1 p.m., followed by College of Charleston on March 16 at 11 a.m.
Northern Illinois University 4, Appalachian State 3
Mar 13, 2013 at Orlando, Fla.
1. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
2. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Steve Karendal (APP) 6-2, 6-0
3. Zach Bost (APP) def. Dor Amir (NIU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Andrew McKinnon (APP) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Max Phillips (NIU) def. Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 7-6, 7-6
6. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 6-2, 6-3, 6-4
1. Dor Amir/Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Sebastien King/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-6
2. Simon Formont/Max Phillips (NIU) def. Zach Bost/Andrew McKinnon (APP) 8-5
3. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) def. Frederic Cadieux/Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 8-1
Appalachian State 2-7
Northern Illinois University 10-5
Women’s Tennis Stumbles Against Gardner-Webb
Appalachian State’s women’s tennis suffered a setback against non-conference opponent Gardner-Webb University in a 5-2 road loss.
With the win, the Runnin’ Bulldogs (3-6, 0-2 Big South) snapped a two-loss streak, while the Mountaineers (9-3, 2-0 SoCon) halted a three-win streak, which included key victories against SoCon foes Chattanooga and Samford.
Appalachian quickly found itself with a 1-0 lead after doubles play. Ellie Linsell and Mackenzie LaSure fell 8-4 in No. 1 to Erica White and Jenny Lunde, who combined to grab their team-leading sixth doubles win of the season. The Mountaineers picked up an 8-2 win courtesy of No. 2 pair Jennifer Ansari and Clare Cox, while winning by default at No. 3 doubles to grasp an early 1-0 lead.
Moving into singles action, tiebreaks would be the deciding factor at No. 1 and No. 3, as GWU’s White managed to win the first set against Linsell 7-6 (2). Brianna Armellino dropped set one to GWU’s No. 3 player, Lunde, who also took it to a tiebreak 7-6 (3) in the first set, but finished Armellino in the second at 7-6 (3), 6-3 for the win.
Appalachian did not play a No. 6 player, thereby earning the point by default and forcing the Runnin’ Bulldogs to win at least four matches, as would be the case when GWU rallied in No.’s 2, 3 and 4 singles.
At No. 2, Cox dropped the set to sophomore Yasmin Doost, who rallied after being down 4-3 in the deciding third frame to secure a 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 win, while Jennifer Ansari fell victim to Valeriia Popko, who posted a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 comeback win at No. 4 singles.
At No. 5 flight, Gabriela Celi finished for a 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 loss to Rokia Sacko as White finished off a 7-6 (2), 5-7, 6-2 win against Linsell at No. 1 singles to round out the Runnin’ Bulldogs’ 5-2 victory.
Up next, the Mountaineers continue spring break against UNC Wilmington on March 14 at 10 a.m., followed by a 2 p.m. match against Campbell on March 15.
Gardner-Webb 5, Appalachian State 2
Mar 13, 2013 at Boiling Springs, N.C.
1. Erica White (GWU) def. Ellie Linsell (APP) 7-6, 5-7, 6-2
2. Yasmin Doost (GWU) def. Clare Cox (APP) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Jenny Lunde (GWU) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 7-6, 6-3
4. Valeriia Popko (GWU) def. Jennifer Ansari (APP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Rokia Sacko (GWU) def. Gabriela Celi (APP) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. No player (GWU), by forfeit
1. Ellie Linsell/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) vs. Erica White/Jenny Lunde (GWU) no result
2. Clare Cox/Jennifer Ansari (APP) vs. Yasmin Doost/Rokia Sacko (GWU) no result
3. Brianna Armellino/Gabriela Celi (APP) def. No player/No player (GWU), by forfeit
Appalachian State 9-3