Appalachian State men’s tennis grabbed a much needed victory Sunday afternoon after defeating Army 5-2 at UCF Tennis Complex in Orlando, Fla. The Mountaineers (2-6) secured the win through their singles performance after posting a 5-1
record against the Black Knights (8-3). Appalachian got off to a shaky start in morning action, where the Black Knights grabbed the doubles decision after pulling the first two flights. Asika Isoh and Harrison McCormick defeated Sebastien King and Jan Willem-Kleynhan (8-2) at No. 1, along with Austin McCasin and Rashad Shelton who bested Andrew McKinnon and Zach Bost (8-6) in No. 2. The Mountaineers managed to come back in No. 3, when Steve Karendal and Steve Lake took the tiebreaker over Peter Sienko and Henry Jang-Milsten (8-7 (7-3)).
The Mountaineers found themselves better positioned in afternoon singles competition, as they captured five-of-six matches. King redeemed himself against Isoh in three sets at No. 1 flight (7-5, 3-6, 6-2), while Karendal posted a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Caison Best at No. 2 to edge Appalachian by one (2-1). Bost found a win at the No. 3 spot against Shelton (6-2, 6-3), and McKinnon defeated Sienko with a win from retirement (4-6, 6-4, 3-1) to give the Mountaineers a three point advantage (4-1). Saltsgaver secured the Appalachian victory with a No. 5 flight victory over McCormick (6-4, 6-2), while Cacha scored Army’s final point of the day on a 6-2, 6-2 decision against Robert Jenkins.
Up next, the Mountaineers will return to the court on March 12 in Jacksonville, Fla. for a 1 p.m. match against Northern Illinois.
Appalachian State 5, Army 2
Mar 10, 2013 at Orlando, Fla. (UCF Tennis Complex)
1. Sebastien King (APP) def. Asika Isoh (ARMY) 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
2. Steve Karendal (APP) def. Caison Best (ARMY) 6-2, 6-4
3. Zach Bost (APP) def. Rashad Shelton (ARMY) 6-2, 6-3
4. Andrew McKinnon (APP) def. Peter Sienko (ARMY) 4-6, 6-4, 3-1, retired
5. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. Harrison McCormick (ARMY) 6-4, 6-2
6. Roman Cacha (ARMY) def. Robert Jenkins (APP) 6-2, 6-2
1. Asika Isoh/Harrison McCormick (ARMY) def. Sebastien King/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-2
2. Austin McCasin/Rashad Shelton (ARMY) def. Andrew McKinnon/Zach Bost(APP) 8-6
3. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) def. Peter Sienko/Henry Jang-Milsten (ARMY) 8-7 (7-3)
Appalachian State 2-6