Appalachian State women’s tennis knocked off an undefeated University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in a 4-2 final at Yonahlossee Racquet Club on Friday afternoon. The Mountaineers improve to 8-2 on the season after fighting past the
Lady Mocs (8-1) in their first conference match of the year. The afternoon began with doubles action, where Ellie Linsell remains undefeated with partner Mackenzie LaSure. The Mountaineer tandem handed Kayla Jones and Kelsey Coots a 9-7 decision in No. 1 singles. UTC managed to pick up match with an 8-7 (1) tiebreaker in No. 3 doubles, when Jenna Nurik and Kaylene Chadwell defeated Clare Cox and Jennifer Ansari. But, Gabriela Celi and Brianna Armellino found success in their first conference match with an 8-6 final against Claire Mulyadi and Alexa Flynn in No. 3 doubles to give Appalachian the 1-0 advantage.
Moving into singles competition, Linsell handled No. 1 flight with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Nurik, but UTC would pester the Mountaineers with a pair of wins. Chadwell defeated Cox in No. 2 flight (7-5, 6-1), while Jones defeated Ansari at the No. 3 spot (6-0, 6-1). The Mountaineers would answer back, however, with Appalachian freshman Armellino defeating Coots in No. 4 flight (6-3, 5-7, 7-5) and Celi handing Flynn a loss in No. 6 singles (6-4, 6-1).
The Apps will continue conference play as they head to Birmingham to face Samford on March 3.
Appalachian State 4, Chattanooga 2
Mar 01, 2013 at Boone, N.C. (Yonahlossee Racquet Club)
1. Ellie Linsell (APP) def. Jenna Nurik (UTC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Clare Cox (APP) 7-5, 6-1
3. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Jennifer Ansari (APP) 6-0, 6-1
4. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Kelsey Coots (UTC) 6-3, 5-7, 7-5
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) vs. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
6. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) 6-4, 6-1
1. Ellie Linsell/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Kayla Jones/Kelsey Coots (UTC) 9-7
2. Jenna Nurik/Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Clare Cox/Jennifer Ansari (APP) 8-7 (1)
3. Gabriela Celi/Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Claire Mulyadi/Alexa Flynn (UTC) 8-6
Appalachian State 8-2