Appalachian State men's tennis fell short in a 5-2 loss to East Carolina University on Saturday afternoon. The Mountaineers (1-6) fought their way through singles action as the Pirates (7-1) managed to take three in singles, and swept doubles
play. The Pirates won the first four matches, while the Mountaineers tallied their fifth loss of the season.
Sebastien King and Jen-Willem Kleynhans were edge-and-edge with ECU duo Joran Vliegen and Ross Nigro (5-5), but that is as close as the Mountaineers would come to victory in doubles action on Saturday. Steve Karendal and Andrew McKinnon were defeated by Damien Brenard and John Schmith in the No. 2 flight (8-2), while Steve Lake and Zach Bostfell to Pirate pair Patriek Wolterbeek and Nicolas Soriano in No. 3 doubles (8-3) giving ECU the 1-0 lead heading into singles action.
The Pirates continued full charge ahead, clenching the first four singles matches beginning with Joran Vliegen's defeat of King in No. 1 flight (6-1, 6-2). Nicolas Soriano carried the Pirate momentum with a victory over Karendal in the No. 2 spot (6-3, 2-6, 6-4), while ECU's John Schmitt defeated Zach Bost at No. 3 flight (6-0, 6-3) to grow the Pirate lead to 5-0.
App State continued the fight, earning its first point courtesy of McKinnon's victory over Patriek Wolterbeek in No. 5 flight (6-3, 6-3). Matt Saltsgaver earned Appalachian's second point with his No. 6 win against Blake Gregory (7-5, 6-3). The Mountaineers will have time to recollect before returning to action against Army on March 10 in Orlando, Fla.
East Carolina 5, Appalachian State 2
Feb 16, 2013 at ECU
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-1, 6-2
2. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) def. Steve Karendal (APP) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
3. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-0, 6-3
4. Damien Brenard (ECU) def. Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 6-4, 6-0
5. Andrew McKinnon (APP) def. Patriek Wolterbeek (ECU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. Blake Gregory (ECU) 7-5, 6-3
1. Joran Vliegen/Ross Nigro (ECU) vs. Sebastien King/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 5-5, unfinished
2. Damien Brenard/John Schmitt (ECU) def. Steve Karendal/Andrew McKinnon (APP) 8-2
3. Patriek Wolterbeek/Nicolas Soriano (ECU) def. Steve Lake/Zach Bost (APP) 8-3
Appalachian State 1-6
East Carolina 7-1