In its first match in the High Country, Appalachian State University women's tennis opened its home schedule with a 7-0 victory over Radford Saturday afternoon at the Yonahlossee Racquet Club. With the victory, the Mountaineers improve
their winning streak to threee-straight matches and move to 4-1 on the season, while spoiling the season opener for the Highlanders. The 4-1 record marks the best start since the 2006 season where the Apps also began the year 4-1.
Appalachian got off to a quick start, capturing all three doubles matches and the opening point. At No. 1, the duo of senior Ellie Linsell and freshman Mackenzie LaSure earned their third victory of the season with an 8-3 win over Taylor Newman and Meg Napolitano. At the No. 2 position, freshman Clare Cox and senior Jennifer Ansari defeated Hana Bobic and Allison Michael, 8-2.
Rounding out the doubles scoring, senior Gabriela Celi and sophomore Gabby Gabriel knocked off Taylor Fay and Gemma Valls at the No. 3 positon, 8-4.
In singles actions, the Apps continued their winning ways as Linsell moved to 4-0 on the year with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Valls in No. 1 singles, as Cox cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 win over Babic at the No. 2 spot.
At No. 3, Ansari knocked off Newman 6-4, 6-3, as Thaggard also remained perfect on the season with a 6-3, 6-1 victory at No. 4.
Celi and freshman Sarah King closed out the match with wins at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively, clinching the 7-0 shutout of the Highlanders. The win gives Appalachian its second-straight win over a Big South opponent, as the Black and Gold defeated Liberty last week.
The Mountaineers return to the courts on Sunday, Feb. 17 as they host North Carolina Central. That match is slated for 2 p.m.
Appalachian State (4-1) 7, Radford (0-1) 0
1. Ellie Linsell (APP) def. Gemma Valls (RU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Clare Cox (APP) def. Hana Babic (RU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Jennifer Ansari (APP) def. Taylor Newman (RU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Megan Napolitano (RU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. Taylor Fay (RU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Sarah King (APP) def. Allison Michael (RU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Linsell/LaSure (APP) def. Newman/Napolitano (RU) 8-3
2. Cox/Ansari (APP) def. Babic/Michael (RU) 8-2
3. Celi/Gabriel (APP) def. Fay/Valls (RU) 8-4