Appalachian State men's tennis registered a second loss in its opening weekend when the Mountaineers fell to UNC Wilmington, 9-0, at the UNCW courts on
Monday, Jan. 21. ASU is now 0-2 following their loss in Wilmington, while the Seahawks improved to 2-0 on the season.
Sunday's match played an alternative format consisting of eight singles matches and the doubles point. UNCW swept all eight singles contests and clinched the doubles point as well.
Zach Bost and Sebastien King dropped the No. 1 spot (8-1) to 10th ranked Chris Cooprider and Kosta Blank, while Mountaineers Robert Jenkins and Steve Lake were ousted by Rafael Aita and Michael Reilly (8-2).
In singles action, King exited the court first following a defeat from 37th ranked Aita (6-2, 6-0), while Jenkins lost at the No. 6 spot (6-1, 6-1) to Reilly. Steve Karendal was then knocked off at No. 3 (6-4, 6-1) by sophomore Kaue Pereira. The Seahawks clinched the win when No. 5 singles Matt Saltsgaver fell to Pedro Mol (6-2, 6-3).
Looking ahead, the Mountaineers will host Presbyterian College at home on Sat., Jan. 26 at 1 p.m.
UNCW 9, Appalachian State 0
1. #37 Rafael Aita (UNCW) d. Sebastien King (APP), 6-2, 6-0
2. Chris Cooprider (UNCW) d. Zach Bost (APP), 6-3, 6-4
3. Kaue Pereira (UNCW) d. Steve Karendal (APP), 6-4, 6-1
4. Kosta Blank (UNCW) d. Andrew McKinnon (APP), 6-2, 6-4
5. Pedro Mol (UNCW) d. Matt Saltsgaver (APP), 6-2, 6-3
6. Michael Reilly (UNCW) d. Robert Jenkins (APP), 6-1, 6-1
7. Zach Hublitz (UNCW) d. Steve Lake (APP), 6-4, 6-0
8. Christiaan van der Burgh (UNCW) d. Zeke Sansing (APP), 6-2, 6-2
1. #10 Chris Cooprider-Kosta Blank (UNCW) d. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (APP), 8-1
2. Pedro Mol-Kaue Pereira (UNCW) vs. Andrew McKinnon-Steve Karendal (APP), 7-2, unfinished
3. Rafael Aita-Michael Reilly (UNCW) d. Robert Jenkins-Steve Lake (APP), 8-2