Appalachian State University men's basketball closes out the 2012 calendar year when it plays host to Milligan in the final non-conference game of the season at 2 p.m. on Sunday. The Mountaineers (3-8) are looking to close out the year with
two-straight victories and extend their winning streak to seven games over the Buffaloes (8-6). Sunday's contest will count as an exhibition game for Milligan, which plays at the NAIA level and has also faced East Tennessee State and Liberty in exhibition contests this season. Coverage begins at 1:15 p.m., on the ASU/IMG Sports Network. Locally, the game can be heard on AM 1450, WATA.
SCOUTING THE BUFFALOES
• Milligan enters Sunday’s contest with an 8-6 record on the season .
• The Buffaloes fell to Liberty, 81-63, in their last outing on Dec. 21, a game that was considered an exhibition for Milligan.
• Milligan defeated The King’s College by a 101-79 final in its most recent regular-season contest on Dec. 19.
• The Buffaloes have compiled a perfect 6-0 record at home, but are just 2-6 in road games this season.
• Milligan will face a total of three NCAA Division I squads in exhibitions this season. In addition to Liberty and Appalachian State, the Buffaloes took on East Tennessee State on Nov. 29 and suffered a 94-46 loss.
• The Buffaloes feature a balanced offensive attack that has four players averaging more than 10 points per game this season.
• Tyler DeVault leads Milligan in scoring at 12.1 points per game while Torian Sitton (11.8), Cartree Paris (10.2) and Mickey Woods (10.1) also average in double figures.
• As a squad, Milligan is shooting a respectable 46.6 percent (400-of-859) from the floor this season, but has connected on just 55.9 percent (200-of-358) of its free throws.
• In addition to its offensive balance, Milligan also spreads out playing time as 10 players see the floor for an least eight minutes per game.
• DeVault leads all players in playing time at 21.9 minutes per game.
• Appalachian State is 17-9 all-time against Milligan and has one six-straight games in the series.
• The Mountaineers are 13-4 when playing the Buffaloes at home and have six-straight home contests against Milligan.
• Sunday’s contest marks the fifth-straight year that the two squads have squared off on the hardwood.
• Appalachian’s average margin of victory over Milligan during its current six-game winning streak is a whopping 33.2 points per game.
• The Buffaloes last victory in the series came on Jan. 8, 1983 when Milligan picked up a 43-41 victory in Boone.
• Appalachian’s current winning streak is the longest for either team in the series while Milligan’s best run came when it snagged four-straight wins from 1944-46.
• The Mountaineers are a combined 22-9 all-time against current members of the Appalachian Athletic Conferences.
• Milligan is the only AAC squad to ever defeat the Mountaineers.
• The Apps open 2013 by jumping back into SoCon play at Wofford (Jan. 8).
• The Mountaineers play their first SoCon home contest of the year against Elon (Jan. 12) before playing host to UNCG (Jan. 14).