Cassie Crawford, a rising sophomore at Appalachian State University, suffered her first major disappointment at the collegiate level on Friday at the USA Track&Field Junior Nationals in Eugene, Ore.
Crawford, who took the Southern Conference by storm in both the indoor and outdoor seasons, came up short in the pole vault. She did not clear the bar and failed to place. Morgann LeLeux of the New Heights Gym Track Club and Sandi Morris of North Carolina finished in a two-way tie for first as they both cleared the bar with a jump of 13-feet, 7 1/4-inches. But LeLeux won the events because she reached her height in fewer attempts.
Stephanie Richartz of Illinois was third with a jump of 13-3 1/2. Crawford was the Freshman of the Year in the SoCon in the spring of 2011, and she had an effort of 12-9 1/2 early in the season. Crawford, who attended Panther Creek High School in Apex, NC, was the Class 4A North Carolina state champion in the pole vault in 2010.
She also set a new state record in the event as she cleared the bar with a jump of 12-6. That broke the old mark of 12-1 set by Sally Gurganus of Watauga in 2006. Crawford's record was short-lived, however. Junior Sydney White of East Forsyth won the 4A pole vault title in 2011 and set a new state record at 12-7.
Deji Adeneve and Jamal Tiller of the Mountaineers will compete in the triple jump Saturday night at 7:10 pm EDT.
USA T&F JUNIOR NATIONALS
POLE VAULT CHAMPIONSHIPS
1. Morgann LeLeux, New Heights Gym Track Club 13-7 ¼
2. Sandi Morris, North Carolina 13-7 ¼
3. Stephanie Richartz, Illinois 13-3 ½
4. Kortney Ross, Oregon 12-11 ½
5. Ariel Voskamp, unattached 12-5 ½
5. Kaitlin Petrillose, Lone Star PV, LLC 12-5 ½
5. Emily Grove unattached 12-5 ½
5. Anginae Monteverde, unattached 12-5 ½
5. Sammie Clark, Oregon 12-5 ½
5. Lauren Terstappen, Clemson University 12-5 ½
5. Christy Gasparino, Clemson University 12-5 ½
12. Victoria Wesley, unattached 12-5 ½
12. Danielle Nowell, Arkansas 12-5 ½
12. McKenzie Johnson, unattached 12-5 ½
NH - Victoria Rische, Higher Flyers
NH - Linda Hadfield, Tennessee
NH - Taylor Kirby, Flying Dragons Pole Vault Club
NH - Caitlin Maulin, Idaho State University
NH - Cassie Crawford, Appalachian State
DNS - Angela Rummans, South Carolina
NH - NO HEIGHT
DNS - DID NOT START