|Liz Aycock's Filing Statement|
|Written by Lauren Ohnesorge|
|Thursday, 19 July 2007 08:29|
Filing statement for Boone Town Council candidate Liz Aycock.
July 6, 2007
Today I am announcing my candidacy and filing for seat on the Boone Town Council.
I have always been active in the Boone community and want to contribute my skills now to continuing progressive ideas for the future of our town. I currently serve on the Boone Planning Commission, and I am Vice-Chair of Boone's Affordable Housing Task Force. I am a very hard worker and am committed to finishing whatever I start. I enjoy working with other people and am a fast learner. I have excellent organizational skills, and I am a very good listener.
I am 34 years old. I am married to Burt Aycock and we are the proud parents of two wonderful sons. Simon is 6 years old and is a rising first grader at Hardin Park Elementary. Eliot is 2 years old. I am a real estate broker and my husband Burt is employed as the Marketing Director for a local software company.
I believe my educational background will serve the Town of Boone and its residents well. I first attended Caldwell Community College and later transferred to ASU where I graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology in 1999. My concentration was in Appropriate Technology with a specialization in Solar, Wind, and Hydroelectric Technology and Design. I minored in Sustainable Development.
• With two boys either in or soon to be in our local school system, I am especially interested in excellent educational opportunities for our young people.
• I believe we must encourage and provide incentives for conservation of our finite natural resources, such as clean water and energy.
• I worry, like many other Boone residents, about the constant pressure on our R-1 neighborhoods. We must do everything we can to protect and enhance them.
• I will work hard to look for ways to creatively address our lack of affordable housing.
• I believe small businesses in Boone must be encouraged, listened to, and acted on behalf of. I am committed to small businesses because of their central role in the health and prosperity of our town.
• I will work for the enhancement of downtown Boone and other areas to include more green space, parks and recreation areas, and to encourage alternative transportation for both visitors and residents.
• I am committed to responsible planned growth for Boone. There is an old saying that you can either manage growth or let it manage you. I prefer the former, and I want to work with residents and businesses to plan for the long-term, and to incorporate new ideas for enhancing the quality of life in our town.
|Share This Article:|