files/MDTB-GBR490x110-Sept-2014.jpg files/redtails.gif
GoBlueRidge.Net
High Country News, Weather, and Bulletins
HCR WSOC TV NCNN
files/auto-banner-2014.gif

Todays ForecastToday:
48°F | 66°F | %
Tomorrows ForecastTomorrow:
50°F | 69°F | 20%
  Swap Shop Online
Home Weather Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Autos
files/App Brian Estates.png
Deep Gap Home Totaled in Saturday Fire PDF Print
Written by Steve Frank   
Tuesday, 28 May 2013 08:12

The sound of a roaring fire and the smell of smoke woke a family of three early Saturday, just in time to save them from a fire that totaled their rental home.  It was shortly after 4am that the sound of a fire in the chimney—not unlike that of a jet engine—woke Danny Presnell’s wife, and with the couple awake, they soon found that the chimney fire had spread from the flue to set the second floor of the house on fire. The couple woke their daughter and the three escaped the house while calling 9-1-1, but the house was probably a total loss due to fire, smoke and water damage, according to Paul Buchanan of the Watauga Fire Marshal’s Office. Firefighters from three counties responded to the house fire in the Deep Gap Fire district  just before 4:30am at a home just off US 221 on Moretz Farm Road, Deep Gap, Fleetwood, Boone, Blowing Rock, Todd, Champion and other resources converged on the scene. Buchanan noted that the smoke detector in the rental house did not sound, probably due to a dead battery, and he reminded all to check batteries—and to keep the flue cleaned out, as the cool snap led the Presnells to fire up the wood stove, leading to the fire.

  
Prev ArticleNext Article
 
Share This Article:
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email

files/appdental-ad45a.jpg
files/wilkes-nissan.jpg
files/op-smiles2014.jpg
files/modernad.png
files/caldwell-hopsice.gif
files/champion-paving.gif
files/boone-ford.jpg
files/Window-World-logo.jpg
files/boonerentall.jpg
files/sears.gif
files/boonechurch.jpg
files/daytona.png