While no one in the High Country took home any of the Powerball Jackpot last month—the largest amount ever up for grabs—a birthday and anniversary added up to a lucky number for an Avery County man, who might find himself with some new friends—maybe some new relatives he wasn’t aware of.(Continue Reading)
There are several area voting issues on the agenda of the North Carolina State B(Continue Reading)
A dawn accident this morning injured two, a woman passenger from the single-vehi(Continue Reading)
The Avery County Sheriff’s Department supplied some details from the fatal fir(Continue Reading)
Two young men were injured in a single-vehicle crash before dawn Saturday in wes(Continue Reading)
GREENSBORO, N.C. – North Carolina senior defender Jonathan Campbell has been named the 2015 Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Soccer Scholar-Athlete of the Year and leads the sports All-ACC Academic team, as announced Tuesday by Commissioner John Swofford.(Continue Reading)
THE MATCHUP ♦ North Carolina (19-4, 8-2 ACC) will try to bounce back from its(Continue Reading)
Chris Moore has been named the baseball coach for Watauga Middle School's baseba(Continue Reading)
BOONE - Watauga High Athletic Director Tom Wright has announced that today's gam(Continue Reading)
BOONE, N.C. — In spring-like conditions at Kidd Brewer Stadium, Appalachian St(Continue Reading)
On february 4th, a blue heeler named Rusty went missing from the Valle Crucis/ Sugar Grove area. He is wearing a blue reflective collar. If found please call 828-773-9436 or 828-266-3513.(Continue Reading)
On January 1st, black and white border collie/lab/hound mix went missing from th(Continue Reading)
On February 4th, a white dog with black spots was found near Deerfield rd. It ha(Continue Reading)
On Friday January 29th, a black and white, medium haired cat went missing from G(Continue Reading)
Brodie, a 7 year old brindle and Emma, a 4 year old fawn, both with white feet a(Continue Reading)
Families who would like help completing the FAFSA are invited to attend FAFSA Day on Saturday, February 20 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM at Appalachian State University in the John E. Thomas Building, Room 265 (Financial Aid Office).(Continue Reading)
The First Tech Challenge (FTC) Team 8190 Tungsteel of the Watauga High School Ro(Continue Reading)
Boone, NC –With her breathtaking new installation “Strange Gardens” —a(Continue Reading)
The Digital Watauga Project is pleased to announce that it will sponsor an exhib(Continue Reading)
Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute’s Culinary Arts program has(Continue Reading)
Mr. Virgil Lee Morgan, age 88, of Boone, passed away Wednesday, February 3, 2016.(Continue Reading)
Mr. Frank E. Fox, age 78, of Fox's Hideaway Lane, Banner Elk, passed away Tuesda(Continue Reading)
Dorothy “Dot” Day Miller, age 83, of Newton passed away on Saturday, January(Continue Reading)
Mrs. Carmen Varney, age 87, of 313 North Pine Run Road, Boone, died Saturday mor(Continue Reading)
Eric Triplett Petrie, age 63, of Will Combs Hollow Road, Vilas, passed away Wedn(Continue Reading)
CLOSINGS, CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS & EARLY DISMISSALS FOR WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 10th, 2016
- Ashe County Schools are closed and no- day for 10 month employees
- Buckeye Recreation opens at 10am
- Watauga County Schools will be closed for students Wednesday, February 10th. Wednesday will be an optional teacher work day and the snow day program at Hardin Park will open at 9:00 a.m. School personnel may report to work with a two hour delay as needed to ensure safe travel
- Avery County Schools are closed for Wednesday, staff to report on a two-hour delay
- Watauga County District Criminal Court will open Wednesday at 11am
- Avery administrative offices open at 9am
- Avery Transportation will run no vans
- Town of Newland opens at 9am
CLOSINGS, CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS & EARLY DISMISSALS FOR TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 9th, 2016
- Avery County Board of Education meeting scheduled for today has been reset for Tuesday, February 16th, 6pm
- Avery High School Basketball vs Mitchell County has been postponed until tomorrow, weather permitting.
- CCC&TI's Watauga Campus has canceled day and evening classes for Tuesday, Feb. 9.
- Greenway Baptist Pee-Wee Basketball Practices scheduled for today have been cancelled.
- Lees-McRae College is closed today.
- The Seven Devils Town Council meeting scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2016 at 5:30PM has been rescheduled for Thursday, Feb. 11, 2016 at 5:30PM at Town Hall due to inclement weather. For further updates visit www.sevendevils.net
- Watauga Community Band has cancelled practice for tonight
- Watauga County Criminal Courts are cancelled for today; all parties involved in cases need to be in touch with their attorneys for reschedule dates.
- Watauga County Project on Aging will not have home delivered meals, congregate meals, or transportation.
- Watauga County Public Library will close at 3
- Watauga Opportunities is closed and will not have transportation.
- Weight Watchers 5:30 meeting at the Paul Broyhill Wellness Center is cancelled tonight