With the shrinking of state, local, and county funds, most agencies are feeling the pinch—or the bite—or the crash, depending on the impact on their budgets. In Avery County, one organization is launching an effort to make back $25,000 of the funds they will be missing from state and local budgets with “Step Up for Yellow Mountain,” an event this weekend.
Organizer Bob Jenkins said that Yellow Mountain Enterprises funding hit a crisis last year, "In the fall, they were in drastic financial difficulty, and it came up that they needed some kind of fund-raiser on an annual basis."
And with his wife on the board, he was asked to put together an event, and he came up with “Step Up for Yellow Mountain," "It will culminate at Lees-McRae starting at 7:30 Saturday morning. We have opening ceremonies at 9, we have pick up packets for the 5K starting at 7:30, we will start a walk-a-thon at 9:15, the 5K starts at 10 'o clock, we will do awards at about 12:30, and have and open auction on some major items beginning at 12:30." the on-line auction will end at 10pm Friday, and any items not bid on will be included at the silent auction at the Lees-McRae field house Saturday during the event. That auction ends at 2pm.
- 7:30am--5K Run, Walkathon registration opens
- 9am--Opening Ceremony, presentation of the colors
- 9:15am--Walkathon begins
- 9:30--5K Run registration closes
- 9:45--5K first call
- 10am--5K start
- 12:30pm--Walkathon ends
- 1pm--Live Auction on the track--SILENT Auction ends, with a winners list at the cashier's table
- 1:30pm--5K & Walkathon trophy awards on the track; Closing Remarks from David Tate
- 2pm--Workshops with Jeremy Boone
Access and bid on now at www.yellowmtn.org.