Join the Yadkin Riverkeeper for the organization’s Tour de Yadkin, an annual month-long river paddling event along 185 miles of the Yadkin River. From April 2 through 30, paddlers can kayak or canoe for a few hours or whole days with one of America’s leading river advocates,
Dean Naujoks, leading the way. Each weekend during the month of April, the Riverkeeper will stop along the river for community festivities that celebrate a cleaner river. The Tour de Yadkin is sponsored by REI in Greensboro, the retailer of quality outdoor gear that supports conservation efforts nationwide.
Billed as, Paddle and Party for a Clean River, events throughout the month include:
- April 3 at 9 AM: Tour de Yadkin Kick-Off Paddle at W. Kerr Scott Dam and Reservoir. Put your boat in the water and paddle in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains.
- April 5 at 5:30 PM: Historic River Walk with Musician, R.G. Absher. Take in the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains along the Yadkin River and hear stories about George Washington, ghost stories and the history of the river. Meet at Coffee House Tavern, 1401 Willow Lane, North Wilkesboro, NC.
- April 9 at 1 PM: Munchies, Bluegrass Music and Free Wine Tasting at Carolina Heritage Vineyard and Winery in Elkin. Optional paddle 9:00 AM.
- April 16 at 8:30 AM: Earth Day River Clean-Up with REI, at Old 421 Park
- April 17 from 9 AM to 3 PM: Picnic on the River. Paddle from Huntsville to Tanglewood Park in Winston-Salem for a picnic on the river
- April 23 at 11:00 AM: Easter on the River at Tamarac Marina on High Rock Lake. Easter egg hunt
- April 30: Final Paddle Day on the Uwharrie River at Morrow Mountain State Park and wrap-up party at Badin Inn
Participation in all events is free.* Paddlers are encouraged to provide their own equipment, but may rent canoes or kayaks directly from Yadkin River Adventures, SuperFly Outdoor Sports or God’s Country Outfitters. Additionally, people can donate $10 to Sponsor a Mile in support of Yadkin Riverkeeper’s efforts to maintain clean water for future generations.
For a list of updated events, general information on the Tour, to locate an outfitter, sponsor a mile, or sign up to paddle, visit yadkinriverkeeper.org or call 336-722-4949.
* $5 fee per person for liability coverage for on the water events.
For information, go to: www.yadkinriverkeeper.org or call 336-722-4949.